Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama bin Laden is Dead- Liberty and Justice For All

When I first heard that President Obama was going to make a late night statement in regards to national security, the first thing I thought about was Osama bin Laden. I quickly dismissed that thought. Like many Americans, my faith in capturing Osama was waning. However, like most instances of shaky faith, I was shown the error of my ways. And what a way to witness that error! According to the President, our brave soldiers went in, fought in a fire fight, killed and extracted the body. All without injury on our part. God bless them. What an extraordinary thing that is. I hope that we will be able to hear from these soldiers first hand what it was like taking out the most wanted man in America. I am so thankful for the men and women who serve in our military. For their extraordinary sacrifice and bravery that has kept this country safe, I say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I started watching the news about an hour before Obama actually spoke. Understandable there was some delay. Unfortunately, I had to watch CNN because my apartment complex charges a surcharge for FOXnews. Surprisingly, they did a half way decent job not bringing politics into their coverage. There was some comments here and there, but overall, it was good coverage. One thing that really did astonish me was the topic of ending our military involvement in Afghanistan. Isn't that how the country got to where it is today? Leaving now would do more harm than good. Like Iraq, we have to finish what we started, or someone even worse than Osama bin Laden may rise. More importantly, however, the war on terror is far from over. This was an amazing victory, but it was only a battle won. The war is not over, nor will it be until America, in fact democracy worldwide, is free from tyranny, free from fear from those who would oppose it.

Lastly, I pray for those around the world, including us, that could be targeted in retaliation. Unfortunately, bin Laden's death may propel him to martyrdom. I fear that although we made amazing progress today, it will take some time to be able to see it. I pray that the Lord watches over us as we continue to strive for whats right. I pray that the meek remain untouched from evil. I pray that although this fight against terror continues, it will end soon with the American flag flying high and proud.

May God bless the men and women of our military for their bravery and sacrifices. And may God bless the United States of America.



Statement from President George W. Bush:
"Earlier this evening, President Obama called to inform me that American forces killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of the al Qaeda network that attacked America on September 11, 2001. I congratulated him and the men and women of our military and intelligence communities who devoted their lives to this mission. They have our everlasting gratitude. This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001. The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done."

Amazon Contextual Product Ads